The Design Awards Committee invites your participation in the 2013 AIA Wisconsin Design Awards program. The Awards Presentation will be held on May 8 in Madison. A display of the winning projects will be featured at the 2013 AIA Wisconsin Convention & Expo on May 8 & 9 at the Monona Terrace Community & Convention Center.
Awards may be presented in two categories. Honor Awards recognize overall design excellence. Merit Awards recognize excellence in a particular aspect of project design, such as detailing, energy efficiency or adaptive use. The jury is comprised of distinguished architects from outside of Wisconsin. There are no entry categories and no detailed criteria beyond those in this announcement. The projects are not judged in competition with each other, but rather by measuring the architect’s performance against each project’s potential. Thus, projects of ordinary program or modest budget can receive an award based on the architect’s skill in optimizing the design opportunity.
The Architect, Owner and Contractor of each winning entry will receive a certificate of the award. Winning architects will be required to prepare two 18” x 18” project presentation boards for display at the 2013 AIA Wisconsin Convention and throughout the state during the year as well as help underwrite cost of special promotion featuring the award-winning projects. Representatives from the award-winning firm must be present at the May program to receive the award. Winners may be asked to discuss the project at the awards ceremony.
Eligibility and Authorship
Projects must have been designed by AIA Architect members of AIA Wisconsin, with construction completed by January 1, 2013. Projects previously submitted and not receiving an Honor or Merit Award are eligible. Where design input arises from two or more architectural firms, they shall be listed alphabetically, using the name of the firms at the time of their design contribution. The design architect must be an AIA Wisconsin member. All other participants substantially contributing to the design of the project must be given credit as part of the submission.
Deadlines, Fees and Entry Forms
Advance registration fee of $125 per project is required. Register online. All registrations must be completed no later than January 18, 2013. Save $10 by registering by January 10.
A seven-digit entry number (e.g. 2013-007 [year -_ _ _ ]), order confirmation and “Concealed Identification” form will be emailed to the registering contact person no later than January 25, 2013.
All materials shall be submitted to AIA Wisconsin, 321 S. Hamilton St., Madison, WI 53703. Please place all items in a single envelope or photo mailer so that your image will not be damaged or bent in transit. Do not submit via email or web delivery.
All completed submissions must be received at the AIA Wisconsin office by no later than 5:00 p.m., February 20, 2013.
Each submission shall contain the following items:
- A printed concise one-page project statement describing the Owner’s program, site description including any significant physical parameters, factual statement of the design solution and a statement of why the project should be considered for an award.
- One high-quality 8 1/2” x 11” printed photograph from your submission that best represents the project.
- A completed “Concealed Identification” form containing information about the project including architect, client, contractor and consultants contact information and photo credit/permission. The name of the architect/firm is not to appear anywhere else in the submitted material.
One CD-ROM/DVD containing a folder named “(your entry number) - Digital Entry.” This folder shall contain:
- Up to 12 high-resolution image files. Photos/image files should be saved as individual JPeg formatted files (81/2” x 11” 300dpi). There shall be one image file for each of the views, photographs, drawings or diagrams you wish to present. Images will be labeled with your seven-digit entry number and order number (e.g. 2013-006-05). A maximum of four of these images may be in collage format. Show all exterior views that are required to reasonably describe the project and interior photos where appropriate. For designs that do not include building exteriors, include photographs, diagrams and/or drawings sufficient to reasonably describe the project (site plan, floor plan(s) and building diagrams). Photographs of project with people to show the design in use are encouraged.
- A high-resolution (8.5 x11”, 300 dpi) JPEG image titled “(your seven-digit entry number) - Display Image.” For use in promotional materials. This may be a repeat of previously submitted printed photo.
- MS Word or text formatted files representing all text, including project statement and concealed identification (not PDF). File names shall start with your seven-digit entry number.
AIA Wisconsin will not accept responsibility for errors in submitted material. By making a submission, each entrant certifies that permission has been obtained from the photographer(s) to publish the submitted photographs and electronic images for publicity in the interest of the profession.
Contact AIA Wisconsin at firstname.lastname@example.org, (608) 257-8477 or (800) 272-4483
with any questions.
Print-Friendly Call for Entries
Concealed Identity Form (Word)
Link to online Registration